THE WORLD’S 50 BEST BARS
50 Best Bars The Blend Scholarship
The William Reed Group (Reed) organises the annual event The World’s 50 Best Bars. In partnership with The Blend (Beam Suntory), it is offering the ‘50 Best Bars The Blend Scholarship’ to support and encourage the growth of the next generation of bartenders, develop the craft of mixology and its perception, and to build a sustainable and inclusive vision for the industry.
The Scholarship, which will be awarded in 2022, is open to anybody over the age of 21 who has recently worked in a bar or has graduated from bartending school, with under 5 years of experience. The prize package includes a series of ‘stages’ (internships specifically for trainees to work briefly in bars, for the purposes of learning new techniques and being exposed to new styles of drinks). A Third stage will be hosted by The Blend Global Team.
The three finalists will receive:
1. two complimentary invitations each to The World’s 50 Best Bars 2022 awards ceremony (in a location to be confirmed) in October 2022;
2. the cost of travel to and from the winner’s country to the awards ceremony (not including guests)
In addition, the ultimate winner, announced at the awards ceremony, will receive:
3. a 2-week stage at Connaught Bar, London, between January and April 2023;
4. a 2-week stage at Katana Kitten, New York City, between January and April 2023;
5. a 2-week stage with The Blend Global team, London or Madrid, between January and April 2023;
6. the cost of travel (Economy Class) to and from the stage locations; and
7. accommodation in the host cities and a subsistence allowance of £500 p/w for each stage.
1. Between 12:00 BST on 19 May 2022 and 12:00 BST on 20 June 2022, Applicants must register online at worlds50bestbars.com/scholarship and include their employer or a previous manager’s details as a reference. They will also be asked to send an introductory video of up to 1 minute and complete some basic information about themselves, and written answers to a questionnaire.
2. 50 Best Bars will select twenty-five (25) semi-finalists from the first round of submissions received. Finalists will be notified of their selection by email no later than 8 July 2022 .
3. Between 12:00 BST on 11 July 2022 and 12:00 BST on 1 August 2022 the shortlisted entrants will be asked to submit online a cocktail-making video, additional written comments, and a series of photographs of their cocktail creation at worlds50bestbars.com/scholarship . The video must be a maximum of two minutes long, demonstrating their own techniques and making a cocktail that heroes an ingredient that represents their city, region or locale. The photos must represent a step-by-step guide of their cocktail making process and techniques applied.
4. A panel of 50 Best and industry judges will select three (3) finalists from the submissions received. Finalists will be notified of their selection by email no later than 19 August 2022 .
5. Finalists will be interviewed by the judges via a video link, between 29 August 2022 and 2 September 2022.
6. The winner of the Scholarship will be announced at the ceremony of The World’s 50 Best Bars October 2022.
1. Any employees (and their families) of companies within the William Reed Group of companies or Beam Suntory, their agents and anybody professionally connected with the Scholarship are not eligible for entry.
2. By applying for the Scholarship the Applicant will be deemed to have read and understood these terms and conditions and to be bound by them. These terms and conditions include any instructions set out with the Programme and online Entry Form.
3. Applicants must:
a) be over the age of 21 at the date of application and to be able to provide documentary proof of this if required;
b) EITHER for at least one and no more than five years in the six years preceding the date of application be or have been in full-time employment in bars; OR have graduated from a bartending school no more than one year prior to the date of application;
c) have the permission of their employer to accept the Scholarship in the event of a successful application if required;
d) produce reference details from their employer, manager or course tutor;
e) be available to take up the Scholarship on the dates stated;
4. The Organiser reserves the right at its absolute discretion to reject any entry that it deems inappropriate.
5. All entries must be entered online by 12:00 BST on 20 June 2022 . Entries will only be accepted if they are submitted online and completed in full.
6. The video exercise to support the second-round applications must be entered online by 12:00 BST on 1 August 2022 .
7. Applications, supporting materials and products will become the property of the Organisers and will not be returned. These properties may be used in the media or on 50 Best and its partners’ channels.
8. Applications must be submitted by the Applicant personally, to whom all correspondence concerning the Scholarship will be addressed.
9. The judges may decline to award the Scholarship if in their opinion there is no application of a winning standard.
10. All first-round finalists will be notified via email no later than 8 July 2022 .
11. The winner will be required to attend The World’s 50 Best Bars 2022 awards ceremony (in a location to be confirmed) on 6 October 2022 to collect their scholarship award in person.
12. The winner will be required during the stages to capture photo or video footage of their experience and upload it for editing, curation and publishing on 50 Best and The Blend social media channels.
13. The Scholarship does not include the cost of excess baggage when flying, insurance, visas or any items or expenses not expressly stated in the Scholarship description and which will be the responsibility of the winner.
14. The Organiser reserves the right to change the judging panel without prior notice to Applicants.
15. The Organiser reserves the right to change the bars for and/or the timings of the stages
16. The Organiser’s decision on all matters affecting the Scholarship is final and legally binding.
17. No correspondence will be entered into.
18. The winner may be required to take part in some post-event publicity and consent to their name and photograph being used for such purposes.
19. By applying for the Scholarship, all applicants will be deemed to have accepted and be bound by the rules and consent to the transfer of their personal data to the Data Controller for the purposes of the administration of the Awards and any other purposes to which the Applicant has consented. Information on how personal data is processed can be found in the Data Controller’s Privacy Notice .
20. The Organiser and Data Controller is William Reed Ltd, Broadfield Park, Crawley RH11 9RT.