THE WORLD’S 50 BEST BARS
50 Best Bars The Blend Scholarship
The William Reed Group (Reed) organises the annual event The World’s 50 Best Bars. In partnership with The Blend (Beam Suntory), it is offering the ‘50 Best Bars The Blend Scholarship’ to support and encourage the growth of the next generation of bartenders, develop the craft of mixology and its perception, and to build a sustainable and inclusive vision for the industry.
The Scholarship, which will be awarded in 2023, is open to anybody over the age of 21 who has recently worked in a bar or has graduated from bartending school, with under 5 years of experience. The prize package includes a series of ‘stages’ (internships specifically for trainees to work briefly in bars, for the purposes of learning new techniques and being exposed to new styles of drinks). A Third stage will be hosted by The Blend Global Team.
The three finalists will receive:
1. two complimentary invitations each to The World’s 50 Best Bars 2023 awards ceremony Singapore in October 2023
2. travel arranged by the Organiser to and from the winner’s country to the awards ceremony (not including guests),
3. accommodation arranged by the Organiser.
In addition, the ultimate winner, announced at the awards ceremony, will receive:
4. a 2-week stage at Sips, Barcelona, between January and April 2024;
5. a 2-week stage at Alquímico, Cartagena, between January and April 2024;
6. a 2-week stage with The Blend Global team, London or Madrid, between January and April 2024;
7. travel arranged by the Organiser to and from the stage locations; and
8. accommodation in the host cities arranged by the Organiser and a subsistence allowance of £500 p/w for each stage.
1. Between 12:00 BST on 17 April 2023 and 12:00 BST on 15 May 2023, applicants must register online at worlds50bestbars.com/scholarship. They will also be asked to send an introductory video of up to 1 minute and complete some basic information about themselves, and written answers to a questionnaire.
2. Reed will select twenty-five (25) semi-finalists from the first round of submissions received. Semi-finalists will be notified of their selection by email no later than 16 June 2023.
3. Between 12:00 BST on 19 June 2023 and 12:00 BST on 10 July 2023 the shortlisted entrants will be asked to submit online a cocktail-making video, additional written comments, and a series of photographs of their cocktail creation at worlds50bestbars.com/scholarship . The video must be a maximum of two minutes long, demonstrating their own techniques and making a cocktail that heroes an ingredient that represents their city, region or locale. The photos must represent a step-by-step guide of their cocktail making process and techniques applied.
4. A panel of Reed and industry judges will select three (3) finalists from the submissions received. Finalists will be notified of their selection by email no later than 28 July 2023.
5. Finalists will be interviewed by the judges via a video link, between 7 August 2023 and 25 August 2023.
6. The winner of the Scholarship will be announced at the ceremony of The World’s 50 Best Bars October 2023.
1. Any employees (and their families) of companies within the William Reed Group of companies or Beam Suntory, their agents, anybody professionally connected with the Scholarship and Scholarship winners from the previous years are not eligible for entry.
2. By applying for the Scholarship the Applicant will be deemed to have read and understood these terms and conditions and to be bound by them. These terms and conditions include any instructions set out with the Programme and online Entry Form.
3. Applicants must:
a) be over the age of 21 at the date of application and to be able to provide documentary proof of this if required;
b) b) EITHER for at least one and no more than five years in the six years preceding the date of application be or have been in full-time employment in bars; OR have graduated from a bartending school no more than one year prior to the date of application;
c) have a passport valid for up to at least 6 months after the stated dates of the Scholarship;
d) have the permission of their employer to accept the Scholarship in the event of a successful application if required;
e) be able to provide reference details from their employer or manager on request;
f) be available to take up the Scholarship on the dates stated;
4. The Organiser reserves the right at its absolute discretion to reject any entry that it deems inappropriate.
5. All entries must be entered online by 12:00 BST on 15 May 2023. Entries will only be accepted if they are submitted online and completed in full.
6. The video exercise to support the second-round applications must be entered online by 12:00 BST on 10 July 2023.
7. Applications, supporting materials and products will become the property of the Organiser and will not be returned. These properties may be used in the media or on Reed’s and its partners’ social-media channels.
8. Applications must be submitted by the Applicant personally, to whom all correspondence concerning the Scholarship will be addressed. There is no alternative method of entry to those requirements set out above. There is no entry fee and no purchase is necessary to enter. Only one application per person is permitted. No multiple applications from or on behalf of the same person will be accepted.
9. The judges may decline to award the Scholarship if in their opinion there is no application of a winning standard.
10. All semi-finalists will be notified via email no later than 16 June 2023.
11. The winner will be required to attend The World’s 50 Best Bars 2023 awards ceremony in Singapore on 17 October 2023 to collect their scholarship award in person.
12. The winner will be required during the stages to capture photo or video footage of their experience and upload it for editing, curation and publishing on Reed and The Blend social media channels. The provisions or paragraph 7 above shall apply to that footage.
13. The Scholarship does not include the cost of excess baggage when flying, insurance, visas or any items or expenses not expressly stated in the Scholarship description and which will be the responsibility of the winner. All travel will be at the risk of the winner/finalists.
14. The Organiser reserves the right to change the judging panel without prior notice to Applicants.
15. The Organiser reserves the right to change the bars for and/or the timings of the stages
16. The Organiser’s decision on all matters affecting the Scholarship is final and legally binding.
17. No correspondence will be entered into.
18. The winner may be required to take part in some post-event publicity and consent to their name and photograph being used for such purposes.
19. By applying for the Scholarship, all Applicants will be deemed to have accepted and be bound by the rules and consent to the transfer of their personal data to the Data Controller for the purposes of the administration of the Awards, for other purposes as set out in the Data Controller’s Privacy Notice and any other purposes to which the Applicant has consented. Information on how personal data is processed can be found in the Data Controller’s Privacy Notice .
20. The Organiser and Data Controller is William Reed International Ltd, Broadfield Park, Crawley RH11 9RT, England.